Post-Christmas may not be the best time for your waistline to create more delicious treats but these Baked Apple Cider Donuts are delightful bundles of low-fat joy. True story: I feel no guilt even after eating 2-3 of these in one sitting.
A while back my roommates bought a few too many liters of apple cider for a team event. When life gives you lemons you make lemonade and when your roommates buy a few too many liters of apple cider you make Baked Apple Cider Donuts. These donuts were by far the best ones I’ve ever made, these were gobbled up with minutes by the roommates who had just returned from a trip down to Cornell. A few days later I made another batch upon heavy requests.
I based my recipe on one from theFauxMartha – using what I had in my cupboards and improvising a bit along the way.
Baked Apple Cider Donuts
Makes 7 donuts
- 1/3C + 2 tbsp apple cider
- 1C all-purpose flour
- 1/4C sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- coconut oil spray
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4C apple cider
- 1/3 C sugar, toss it into the magic bullet to make it superfine
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Place the apple cider and butter into a small bowl and heat until butter is melted – if you add the melted butter to the apple cider the butter will solidify before it can be incorporated. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl whisk the sugar, maple syrup, and egg. Add in the apple cider and butter mixture and mix until well blended. Incorporate the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sea salt until just combined.
4. Spray the donut pan with the coconut oil spray and ladle the batter until each donut mold is 2/3 full.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes (theFauxMartha only needed 7 minutes for her donuts but my oven needed 20-25 minutes). Let cool for 2-3 minutes before attempting to remove donuts from pan.
6. Once again, place the apple cider and butter into a small bowl and heat until the butter is melted. In a separate wide and shallow bowl, combine the super-fine sugar and cinnamon. Dip each donut into the apple cide and butter mixture before dipping it into the cinnamon sugar. Set aside until all donuts are dipped and serve warm!